Wednesday, April 17, 2024

2024 - day seventeen

 The prompt is a poem inspired by a piece of music.


Homeward Bound.


I have sat in so many railway stations

And bought so many tickets.

I have travelled in cars with cassette players

And 'mix tapes' of whatever the driver fancies

But in my own car, no, I have albums.

At one time copies on tape, later on cd,

Now on a SD card and set to shuffle.

None of them have the impact of

The Simon and Garfunkel song the first year

I spent in the Lakes.

Any song from them takes me back instantly

To hot days at Scout Crag, and long lunches in the pub,

To journeys over mountain passes, and bank holidays

With too many people in one place, cars parked

Along the road and blocking gates, litter dropped

And the local farmer dredging the septic tanks

And spraying the contents on his fields . . . 

Pretty pale pink and blue fragments fluttering

In the breeze and the sewage-smelling-wind bringing

The message of wrongly flushed sanitary towels

On display in broad daylight.

The soundtrack of my mistakes,  and all my words

Come back to me in shades of mediocrity,

Harmonising their emptiness and I feel

A longing for someone to comfort me.


No comments:

Post a Comment