Monday, April 15, 2024

2024 - day fifteen

 The prompt is a stamp.


Little packets . . . 


When I was a child of no more than nine or ten

There was a trend for collecting stamps.

Albums might be loose-leaf or then again

A soft-backed book, a diary with ramps

Made of bent sticky stuff to secure

The stamps in sets on pages.


If I was good, according to mother, I might

Be taken to the corner shop, and there

In a dark corner on a nicked card, held tight

Were little packs of stamps to keep or share.

For me the name of Magyar held allure

A timeless foreign land so gracious.


Other stamps were brighter, rarer, bigger

But Magyar stamps held me in wondering thrall,

A price that made no sense that I could figure

And letters that were the strangest thing of all.

As I aged into my teens this magic spell endured,

I no longer collected, but Magyar still engages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment